17 September 2010

Nottingham



On Saturday I went to Nottingham for my friend Andy and his new wife Lauren's wedding celebration. Lauren is from America and so that is where they got married. As most of Andy's friends and family couldn't go to the wedding they had a celebration here.
It was  nice to see them again and to hear stories and see pictures of their wedding in the US. They seem like such a lovely couple and it was lovely to see them together as husband and wife. I'm sure that they will have a happy life together blessed by God.
It was also nice to see some of my friends from Birmingham. One friend it was good to catch up with was William. We had some good times with our friend Sarah from Canada and it wasn't the same without all of us there together but still good nonetheless. My other friends Zac and Sarah were there with their tiny baby twin boys. They are tiny but have grown heaps since I last saw them just before I moved to London, which is great to see. Another friend Tom and girlfriend Charlie were helpful in picking me up and taking me to my hostel as I decided to stay in Nottingham over night to do some sight seeing. It was also lovely to see Steve and Trudi and their boys who have grown up so much since I saw them as well. They used to go to my church- Oasis in Birmingham but now go to another church. It was good catching up with everyone.
They had a  Ceilidh, which I do normally enjoy but you can't really do it without a partner, so I watched. I had thought it would be nice to have a Ceilidh at my wedding cause it gets everyone dancing. But I'm not sure now, people do like to sit and watch sometimes so really the same people keep on dancing.
The Ceilidh band playing a jig

Lauren and Andy eating some cake       







Afterwards I went back to the hostel and starting thinking about what I wanted to do as it was still early. Charlie had told me about an indi movie theartre, so I was thinking about that. When I arrived in my room one of the girls I was sharing with was there talking on skype. When she got off we began talking and I found out she was from Brazil. I tried to invite her to the cinmea but she wanted to stay at the hostel and hang with everyone there. I thought about this but then felt really tired. I had been up to 3am the night before and then got up early to get the train to Nottingham. So I decided to go by myself to the cinema. I found it pretty easily which was good - it wasn't too far from where I was staying. The cinema had a deal which included a meal so I took that offer and decided to watch Tamara Drew. I'd never been to the cinmea by myself but quite enjoyed it. I had a burrito, which was nice and I ate it in a funky bar on some low coffee tables. The movie was good but not sure about it really. I was so tired when it had finished that I just went to bed and even the party down stairs didn't bother me, I was out.
The next day I had a mini sleep in as I wanted to catch up on my sleep so I wasn't so tired for Monday . I then got ready which was easy to do as mostly everyone in my room were asleep. I went into the kitchen to have breakfast. Basically it wasn't very nice jam pots, butter and bread laying about , but where was the toaster? On the floor of course! Yew! Well I had two pieces but not sure if thats safe but we'll see. While eating breakfast I met an Australian guy from Adelaide and another from South Africa. I ate quick as I wanted to see Nottingham castle.

Some different views of the castle. The castle itself has been knocked down and replaced with a palace.
Underneath is sand stone tunnels (caves). They were used for storage and are constantly at 14 degrees Celsius. You could go on a tour of this, so I did.
I really enjoyed learning some more history. It's quite interesting this castle and I'm glad I came to visit it.
Afterwards I went to have lunch in the town and then it was time to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment