22 September 2010

Church shopping

I've had two Sundays of church shopping since I've lived here and so far not much luck, yet.

The first Church I went to was the week before I went to Nottingham. It's a C of E which is normally too traditional, not charismatic enough, but I was told that it was so I decided to check it out. I caught the tube, it was about two stops north, I was running late (as per usual) which wasn't cool. The night before I wrote down directions but after walking for about 10 mins I realised I had got the wrong direction and turned right instead of left after coming out of the station. This meant that I was 30 mins late, great start. I wasn't going to go but when I got there some other people were arriving so I thought why not. I went in to find a very big traditional church that was full of different kinds of people. I stood there for what seemed like a life time looking for a seat. I kept thinking soon someone will come and help me but nobody did. I ended up sitting in their coffee shop area. I was sitting sideways and feeling really on show. I saw some seats in the main section facing the front and decided to be bold and ask if they were spare. They were so I took one. I didn't miss much I don't think they were introducing people who were doing internships in different areas of the church and doing other announcements. After a while the speaker was introduced I think he may have been the pastor of the church. He spoke about hospitality, which I thought was interesting from what I had so far experienced. Afterwards, he said 'now lets continue with this hospitality theme and talk to someone you don't know'. I thought this would be my chance to meet people. I sat in my seat for a bit and then decided to go and get some tea. The lady serving me was nice but really only served the tea didn't really try to do any more. I stood drinking the tea for a while and then decided to leave, nobody spoke to me. I don't think I'll go back.

The second church I went to was an Anglican - again not my usual but you never know. This time I wasn't late but early. I got there to find the door closed, I was a bit unsure if I could go in. I looked around and saw people walking around the back I followed them. I soon realised they were going to kids church. I was thinking of leaving when I saw some people arriving they went in opening the door as they went. To my surprise the church was pretty much empty. I sat down and waited for more to arrive and the service to start. Well not many arrived and the service started late. It was very traditional and cautious feeling. The Reverend was from another church. He spoke about Matt 6:19-24 a good message about serving. I really couldn't wait to leave but then the children came back and had to tell us what they'd been doing, lovely. Well I then went without saying anything to anyone. I won't be going back there.

Next week I'm hoping to go to ChristChurch , they're New frontier's- type of church I attended in Birmingham. It's not close but it might be what I'm looking for. Anyway we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment