1 September 2010

My new school

Yesterday was my first day at school. I was a bit nervous but luckily it was a teacher inset day so no children and parents to meet just staff. I arrived and went to the classroom where I met Lauren (the teacher I'll be taking over from) and my TA as well as other teachers. Everyone seemed nice and friendly. Soon after we went into the hall for the day to begin. I began to feel as though this school would be different when the head teacher introduced me to the rest of the staff firstly because that doesn't always happen and secondly because I wasn't the only newbe but I was the only one that hadn't met the staff last term and also I was one of the last people and she remembered my name without a piece of paper to refer to or asking 'oh so sorry what was your name again'. So that was a nice start.
Lauren and Yvette (TA) seem really nice and are happy that I am here now rather than when Lauren goes on her materinty leave and so am I. Again I feel this is a good school, spending extra money to support staff and children so to have as little disruption as possible, which is nice.
Today was a nice day. I didn't really have to do a lot but I'm still super tired. The children don't actually start school until next Monday and it's a staggered start so 10 start next Monday then about 11 more and then the rest which is nice. They'll also be doing half days for the first three weeks. Today we had interviews with the parents and the children came as well. It was nice to get to know them but at first I was nervous and overwhelmed when a very friendly Dad came and smiled right at me. I was so taken a back by his extra smileyness that all I did was smile back - like an idiot. I could have introduced myself or just stood there looking special so I choose to look special and so Lauren had to introduce me or I could be still be stood there, looking special.
I really think I'll enjoy working here. Talking to the staff I have noticed friendliness and teamness. People don't seem negative or important. I mean the head and deputy had their lunch in the staff room (with the staff), never seen this before. This is going to be interesting but I'm excited to see what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment